Banks are open from Monday to Friday, 8:30AM to 5:00PM. Certain agencies are also open on Saturday instead of Monday. Most banks have cash machines outside for you to withdrawal money (in euros) with your credit card.
Near the school; you will find several French banks:
- Crédit du Nord: 40 bd Voltaire 75011 Paris, Tel.: 01 49 29 16 00
- BRED Banque Populaire: 39 bd Diderot 75012 Paris, Tel.: 08 20 33 61 33
- Société Générale: 23 bd Diderot 75012 Paris, Tel.: 01 43 41 19 00
- Crédit Agricole: 23 bd Diderot 75012 Paris, Tel.: 01 43 41 19 00
- Crédit Lyonnais: 41 bd Diderot 75012 Paris, Tel.: 01 53 02 92 51
Opening a bank account
If you remain in France for more than three months, you can open a resident bank account. You are however advised to check with your bank in your home country, whether it is associated a French network, which might facilitate your operations.
To open a resident bank account in euros, the following documents are essential:
- Your passport
- Your residence permit
- Proof of residence (telephone or electricity bill, rent receipt, certificate residence, etc)
You will receive a checkbook and/or a bankcard once your account has been opened. Checkbooks are generally free, on the other hand, credit or debit cards are charged between 15 and 40 euros per year, depending on the bank and the type of card issued.
You must deposit a minimum amount of 15 euros, and your account will be open within 48 hours.
For more information
The national agency for promoting French Higher Education abroad
Égide provides a full range of services covering transport, accommodation, grant management, cultural activities and event organization, addressing scholarship-holders, researchers, members of expert missions, and high-profile guests on visits to France or abroad.
Centre for Youth Information and Documentation
An easier method to open an account
The Municipal Credit of Paris has a system to facilitate the process and allow you to open a bank account, as soon as you arrive in Paris, without necessarily having a fixed address, or residence permit.
To open a bank account with the Municipal Credit of Paris, you only have to go taking with you a valid passport, as well as attestation of your enrollment in a university or higher study establishment in Paris. If you are unable to do this immediately, you can go subsequently with your residence permit and proof of "fixed" residence.
Opening a bank account with the Municipal Credit of Paris will enable you to initially benefit, from basic banking services, which can be increased progressively as you establish a working relationship.
For more information
Crédit Municipal de Paris
55 rue des Francs Bourgeois - 75004 PARIS
The majority of banks offer currency exchange services. There also exists independent currency exchange offices that are open from Monday to Saturday from 9:00AM to 6 :00PM. Nonetheless you should compare exchange rates and choose the best one for you.
- AMERICAN EXPRESS: 11 rue Scribe 75009 Paris, Tel.: 01 47 14 50 00
- MASTERCARD: Emergency services for international visitors
- Lost Cards: Tel.: 0800 90 13 87
- Banque de France: 39 rue Croix des Petits Champs 75001 Paris, Tel.: 01 42 92 42 92